|“The site”:||This shall be the publishing platform known as The History Room at www.historyroom.org|
|“Our, we”:||This shall refer to the editors and peer reviewers on the site.|
|“Content”:||This shall refer to any and all materials submitted to The History Room for publication on the site.|
|“Nugget”/”Review”:||This shall be any text submission, with or without illustrations, ranging from 250 words to 500 words (or close approximations).|
|“Essay”:||This shall be any text submission, with or without illustrations, ranging from 500 words to 1500 words in length (or close approximations.)|
|“Article”:||This shall be any text submission, with or without illustrations, ranging from 1500 words to 3000 words in length (or close approximations.)|
|“Paper”:||This shall be any text submission, without or without illustrations, above 3000 words.|
|“Editable format”:||This shall mean an electronic Content submission which can be edited by use of a suitable word-processing application. Submissions in PDF, XPS Document Writer or any other fixed-layout format will be returned.|
By sending any Content to the site you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions. If you do not agree to all of them, please do not send Content to the site.
No payment nor tangible reward of any kind shall be made for any Content that is published on the site.
Intellectual property rights:
- You may only submit Content to the site in which you own all intellectual property rights or for which you have the authorisation of the person who does own those rights. If you are under the age of 18 you may not submit Content to this site without the prior approval of an appropriate adult.
- Any Content submitted for publication shall be original, previously unpublished, and any illustrations shall be either the legal property of the Content author or in the public domain and not subject to third-party copyright. Where attributions are required by licence, these shall be clearly displayed.
- There must be no litigation or pending application before any registry or a court of competent jurisdiction affecting the Content.
- Intensive checks will be made regarding the authenticity of the Content, but should any Content at a later date attract copyright claims or complaints from a third party, the plaintiff shall be referred directly to the person claiming to be the Content author and the Content shall be immediately removed from the site.
- You possess and retain all rights necessary for the reproduction, distribution, transmission, public performance, public display and other exploitation of the Content on other media. Your Content will be immediately removed from the site if you express such wishes in writing.
- By accepting these Terms and Conditions and submitting Content to the site for publication, you hereby indemnify and agree to keep The History Room indemnified against any and all loss, costs, damages, liability or expenses (including reasonable legal expenses) arising as a result of any breach of your obligations, warranties, claims and undertakings under these Terms and Conditions.
Submitting Content to the site:
- All Content submitted must be in the English language.
- All Content must be submitted in an editable format.
- Pages containing Content may also feature advertisements, the placement and content of which are determined by the site.
- Authors who wish to submit Content should first discuss the proposal by email in order that its suitability for publication may be assessed.
- Authors who wish to submit Content to the Veterans collection must supply an image of the recipient’s awards and/or an image of the veteran during the period of his or her service. Due to Data Protection Regulations, any information supplied about the veteran must be in the public domain such as public archives, newspapers or other official citations.
- The site is under no obligation to use your Content. Submissions will be considered for publication based on historical knowledge, academic strengths and general public interest. No Content which is deemed to be academically unsound or might cause distress or upset to readers will be considered for publication.
- No Content will be considered or published if it knowingly contravenes any community, state or national laws; is likely to incite violence or hatred; is likely to disturb public order; or which is threatening, abusive or insulting.
- Articles and papers will be converted to PDFs by the editors for publication on the site.
- The editors reserve the right to proof-read and correct grammatical or spelling errors if necessary. In some cases it may be necessary to re-order or re-format Content to make it suitable for conversion. Your rights to the Content will not be affected.
- Should Content require any substantial or significant changes, it will be returned to the author for redrafting.
- All Content must be correctly referenced using either the Harvard system, footnotes or endnotes; and, preferably, contain a list of ‘Useful Sources’ which may assist visitors to the site with their interests or further research.
- Papers or articles must be submitted with a full bibliography of all sources consulted in the production of the Content. Any or all sources may be checked for veracity.
- All Content shall be published under the proper name of the author.
- Any discussions or comments regarding Content received post-publication will be made public, although all such comments will be moderated by the editors.
- Any hyperlinks you provide that link to personal or external websites will be checked. Any such sites that conflict with the ethical principles and/or the legal obligations of The History Room will be deleted or the Content may be returned to you.
- Content, once published on the site, may be removed at any time without notice. However, the aim is to maintain published content on the site for a minimum of six months.
- The History Room is committed to preserving the privacy of all contributors and visitors to the site.
- Your name will be published alongside your Content. Only proper names will be accepted. No aliases must be used.
- Email addresses or any other contact information will not be published. Should you wish any other information to be published such as title, occupation, alma mater etc., specific permission in writing will be required.
- Your email address and any other personal information will only be used by The History Room for the specific purposes of communicating with you in regard to your submitted Content. No personal information will ever be shared with or sold to a Third Party.
- The site hosts (WordPress) employ security measures which aim to protect the information provided by you from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
The information contained on The History Room website (the “Site”) is for general information purposes only. The History Room assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the contents on the Site. All images published on the Site are either (a) in the public domain; or (b) are warranted as owned by the contributors.
In no event shall The History Room be liable for any special, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages or any damages whatsoever, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tort, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Site or the contents of the Site. The History Room reserves the right to make additions, deletions, or modification to the contents on the Site at any time without prior notice.
The History Room does not warrant that the website is free of viruses or other harmful components.
External links disclaimer:
The History Room website may contain links to external websites that are not provided or maintained by or in any way affiliated with The History Room. Please note that The History Room does not guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any information on these external websites.